more that I found out:

var nDepth:Number = this.getNextHighestDepth();
trace (this.getNextHighestDepth());
trace (_cbCategory.getDepth());
_cbCategory.swapDepths(nDepth);
trace (_cbCategory.getDepth());

this is that same onComboOpen function I posted before, with one extra
trace...noticed some interesting stuff here:

1st time:

2
1
2

2nd time:

19
2
19

3rd time:

36
19
19

So getNextHighestDepth is finding the next highest depth, its just the combobox
won't take that depth.  Any ideas here?