bgf> I think if it's set to device it still won't work
bgf> whether the font is embedded or not (if I put my mask in a layer).

Device fonts are not embedded fonts - if a font is embedded, then it
cannot be a device font. Components use device (not embedded) fonts by
default, but you can change font settings by using Button.setStyle(),
StyleManager.setComponentStyle() or StyleManager.setStyle(). Font
settings are controlled by the "textFormat" style and using embedded
fonts by "embedFonts" (the fonts should be not only referred as an
embedded, but be really embedded into the swf). See docs for details.

  Attila