Hey Patrick, this is a snippet from Grant's FlashLib class:

public static function getInstance(className:String):DisplayObject {
           var SymbolClass:Class = getDefinition(className);
           return (SymbolClass) ? new SymbolClass() : null;
       }

       public static function getDefinition(className:String):Class {
           return (inited) ?
loader.contentLoaderInfo.applicationDomain.getDefinition(className) as Class
: null;
       }

I think getDefinition is what you're after.  Use the loader object of the
swf you loaded obviously

good luck!