Here is a trace from using the first strategy:
The url still opens up in the same window as the Flash file, not a new window.

The second strategy still doesn't work for me. It doesn't seem to be finding the function. Here's the trace:
I've tried to remove the param and see if it can fire 'openInBrowser' with a simple trace, but it doesn't fire.

Thanks for the feedback so far. Let me know if there are any other thoughts on this.

:)