Hi,

i think i'd recommend 'code complete', 'the mythical manmonth', 'software
project survival guide', but that's just based on personal preference,
picking up some books about agile development methodologies could be a good
idea too. To be honest, I know the ideas in there, and read papers about it,
but havent got to reading a lot of book on agile methods perse.

The thing you describe with the employee sounds familiar, but I think there
are two separate issues:
* wrong estimates (the subject of your first email)
* different programming approaches (the subject of the last email)

An employee who hacks everything together might give off very accurate
estimates:), the main thing probably is trying to tell your manager WHY that
is not the way to go. If you are a perfectionist you might wanna plan for
all those one in a million cases that happen 9 times out of 10, but if your
boss asked you to develop a quick prototype, you are indeed wasting a lot of
time with that formal approach (not saying you are, but just if).
The reason we still do it that way is probably that we know 99,9999% sure
that the quick prototype will end up in production before you blink your
eyes, and one way or another you've been manouvered in such a position that
your biting dust either way.
However, i tend to keep all communication and assumptions on email, if
someone wants a quick prototype, i give them a quick prototype, "ok here is
the quick prototype you asked for. Note it has been hacked together, meaning
it will probably crash, its unmaintainable, has to be rewritten from scratch
if etc etc etc.". You might go on to tell them the nitty gritty details,
tell them to read a book on software project management, or tell m to just
trust you, depending on the kind of work relationship/environment you are
in.
(note that i am leaving out the option that you have a solid simple
framework, allowing you to put together prototypes more quickly with less
disadvantages such as the ones described above).

The books mentioned will give you a lot of information on how to educate
your boss why it takes you a factor 5 or 10 or 20 compared to your collegue,
if he wants a maintainable production ready system. If your boss still
doesnt wanna listen, find another boss, more and more managers are seeing
the light of solid software development these days :). I had the kind of
collegue you mentioned and he was fired because he just couldnt get his
stuff bugfree.
And for yourself you need to decide what kind of project you are working on,
and what kind of measures and overhead it demands. After all a nuclear power
system control unit will require different methods than a bouncing flash
animation.

The estimate for the project I am currently working on, was originally a
year. We had to do it in 3 months. So we said ok, we'll do it in 3, BUT
documentation will be lacking, functionality will be lacking, it wont be as
adaptable, etc, etc, but what we do create will be okay and bugfree. However
if you ever want to incorporate more changes, we will have to refactor as we
go along (which we are currently doing). Of course it didn't go quite as
smoothly as it sounds, but in the end we are getting there.

Sorry for the chaotic piece of text, but to conclude:
* go with the flow, but communicate about your assumptions so they dont
backfire
* i try to keep a 'we see possibilities' attitude with a note of warning,
instead of a 'we see only problems' attitude
* read up on books and try to educate your managers, and dont worry some
managers wont understand what you are trying to explain no matter how good
you do it:)
* if you have established that you are on the right track (based on what you
read) and are still not valued and cant change it within your current
organisation, leave. Shame to let good talent rot to waste:)

just my 2 cnts and really the books explain these phenomena we all encounter
way better than i just tried

greetz
JC