setInterval is a handy way to break scope.

Have the AS method called by JS set an interval for let's say 10ms, and then have the method assigned to the interval take care of business. Javascript will be free and Flash will keep on going.

-Steven

Seth Green wrote:
I'm not calling a JS function from flash until the end of this process. It is the beginning of this process that I want to be made asynchronous. In the beginning I am calling a flash function from JS. That is the piece I am trying to get to be asynchronous.

jtgxbass wrote:
You could make use of ExternalInterface.addCallback. Therefore the JS
function you call with ExternalInterface.call starts some process off then
returns straight away. When your process is done it calls your registered
flash callback. Therefore you end up with asynchronous.

All said and done, why not call the webservice straight from flash?