Call something like this after you do the swap:

targetMC.setMask(maskMC);

This will reset the mask. Masking is tricky business. You cannot mask more
than one thing. I mention this in case you are using swapDepths to try and
cover more movieclips with your mask - it will not work... I don't think the
depth of the mask has any impact on how it works.

You might want to consider operating the masking mechanism programmatically
to begin with.

My summer is alright, thank you. Hope this helps.