I recommend reading "Head First Design Patterns".
The code examples are Java but the principles are universal and you get to see how classes can be made to work effectively.
The Singleton pattern is one of the patterns discussed.
Very entertaining approach to a serious subject.
It will save you a lot of time and make your code much smaller and more robust.

Ron

Sunil Jolly wrote:
I think that if you're just starting out with classes then using MVC
would be an excellent place to start since ARP could be quite
overwhelming.
Others might disagree. :)

I've spent many hours trying to figure out how to do some seemingly
basic things in ARP and to be honest I'm still not 100% sure I'm doing
the "right" thing in places!

Do you know about singletons? To make your service(s) available to all
items in Flash it would be best to use it in a singleton pattern.
(http://www.flashcoder.net/blog/?p=81).

Sunil