I guess it depends on what you know and what you need. PHP is no more harder to maintain than ActionScript - it all depends on who's coding it. Personally, I really like PHP - the syntax is similar enough to ActionScript that development in it is quite straightforward for an AS person. If you're making executables then Java of course would be better, but if you're creating server-side stuff for Flash movies then I'd recommend PHP... I think it's a bit like mac's vs pc's - they both work fine - use what works for you.

Dave -
Head Developer
http://www.blurredistinction.com
Adobe Community Expert