Hi all, I'd like to gather some opinions reguarding compatibility between
Gnash and the proprietary players.
Current Gnash development version is able to handle device fonts exactly in
the same way as embedded fonts are handled. This means you can rotate, skew,
colorize each component and everything will work.
Do flash coders consider this as an advantage or a compatibility warning ?
(or both)

Personally, while it IS a better feature, I'd consider it a compatibility problem. Having someone take advantage of a Gnash feature not present on the regular player is as much of a problem as the other way around (although that is the case now); and it risks having two very different versions with different features, instead of just a version with less features. I'm not sure if different branches is what would make Gnash/open source players popular.

Just as a side note, textfields rendered with device fonts can be 'captured' by way of BitmapData instances and manipulated as an image, so on most aspects, they can still be manipulated although you'd need a few more steps for that (and Flash Player 8+).

Also, I've been reported that *some* proprietary player versions handle
this differently in different architecture flavors (like _alpha being
misreguarded
but borderColor and backgroundColor being honoured). Can anyone confirm ?

I haven't tested these properties specifically, but I think they do work. Plus they can have filters (Flash 8+ feature) applied to force antialias. So yes, it's a bit confusing.

Zeh