A follow-up and workaround for this issue, for those who care.

The issue of FLV blacking out the screen when a projector runs in full-screen mode seems to affect the Video class itself. I stand by my original guess that this occurs because of a security issue. The documentation for these security issues mention that they do not affect Flash projectors, but apparently they do.

It's less than ideal to rework the FLVPlayback instances in my Flash document into purely ActionScript invoked instances, the artist-types on the team won't like that. So for now I use a brute force "global" event listener to set the fullScreenTakeOver to false on any FLVPlayback instances, something like this:

        // In main class constructor:
primaryDisplayObject.stage.addEventListener(Event.ADDED, displayObjectAdded, true);

        // A little later in the main class:
        // Listener when any display object is added to stage.
        private static function displayObjectAdded(evt:Event):void {
                if (evt.target is FLVPlayback) {
                        evt.target.fullScreenTakeOver = false;

To summarize, I see two major flaws with this version (2.0.0.37) of the FLVPlayback component:

Flaw #1) In full-screen mode Flash projectors FLVPlayback instances completely black out the stage.

Flaw #2) The FLVPlayback component inspector should include a fullScreenTakeOver parameter.

SD