Thanks so far.

I suppose I could do something similar to the TextExtent thing filling up a textfield and checking it's textheight (does textheight update without a redraw?).

At least then it wouldn't be a deprecated command.

And I'm thinking cutting down processing by using making an estimate of line sizes based on character width, and hopefully start the check somewhere close to a line break.

I'll post any useful outcomes.
Dan