storing the xml in memory is fine, personally i prefer using models, that
way when the xml changes i just need to update the query which retrieves it
and the function which writes xml again.
also in the flex2 paradigm with databinding models are better to work with
than xml IMO.

On 8/31/07, Paul Steven <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am creating a desktop application using Flash and Zinc. The first time
> it
> runs, it retrieves all the data by calling a series of scripts on a
> server.
> The data is returned as xml data.
>
> My question is, can I just store all the info in memory as xml data or do
> need to create classes to store the info?
>
> I need to store all this data locally so that users can use the
> application
> later even if they are not online so I was planning on writing xml files
> the users hard drive.
>
> Basically the application stores details of examinations and the students
> associated with each exam.
>
> I am currently reading in the xml data about each exam and using an
> examination class to create instances of each exam to store the
> properties.
> Likewise I am reading in all the data for each student and using a student
> class to create instances of each student to store the properties of each
> student.
>
> I am thinking that this is not necessary and that I could just read in the
> xml and use this xml data whilst the application is running. Any changes
> made by the user could directly change the xml data. Then when they choose
> to save their work, I would write the xml data to a text file.
>
> Any advice on this much appreciated as I am getting a bit confused and
> have
> spent days writing classes to deal with all the data management.
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul

j:pn
http://www.memorphic.com/news/