can you show your code ?

else try it :

import mx.utils.Delegate ;

class Test
{

     function Test()
     {
           x = new XML() ;
           x.onLoad = Delegate.create(this, onLoad) ; // create a proxy
between your instance and the xml object
           x.load("test.xml") ;
     }

    public var x:XML ;

    public function onLoad( success:Boolean ):Void
    {
         trace( "scope of your function : " + this) ;
         trace("xml : " + x ) ;
         // here use your Test methods !

The Delegate class of Adobe can be your solution ?

In my opensource framework i use more powerful Delegate implementation and
event model, you can read :
- http://code.google.com/p/vegas/wiki/VegasTutorialsEvents_delegate
- http://code.google.com/p/vegas/wiki/VegasTutorialsEvents
- http://code.google.com/p/vegas/

My vegas.events.Delegate class is more complete ... but the Adobe class it's
more easy to begin with the proxy model.

EKA+ :)