A few weeks ago I had to create some map application in Flex 2 aswell. I
went out and started looking for a solution and came across a Flash Player 9
application that could connect with all types of map services including
google. But the source for that application was not available anymore
(apparently ordered by google or something).

I tried to figure it out myself by going over the JavaScript files. This
however would have taken ages as it's quite a complex process that google
uses. You can not just get the images directly, you need to send
somesort of header I guess.

Eventualy I used Yahoo, dug through the scripts and figured out how to load
the images.

I did not come across the G_map component in my search though, I'm not quite
sure how it works but my guess is that you could find out. However this is
on the google API's Terms of Use:

Your use of this photographic imagery is limited to displaying it to end
users within the Service itself, and in the same manner, form, format, and
appearance as it is provided by the Service. You may not, nor may you allow
others to, copy, distribute, display, alter, or otherwise use, this
photographic imagery except as it is provided to you through the Service.

This also the reason that I stopped persuing the better images of Google
maps.

Greetz Erik