To be picky about nomenclature --

Amongst those in the know, "b" is "bit" and "B" is "byte" -- so 10 Mbps is
10 megabits per second but 12 MB is twelve megabytes. It's also totally
acceptable (and advocated by at least one proposed standard) to use the word
"bit" fully (e.g., 512 kbit/s).

In practical use, I've only ever seen kbps/Mbps refer to bitrates,
regardless of capitalization. When rates are used with bytes, I always see a
slash instead of the p -- that is, I have a 6 Mbps (megabit per second)
connection, so I usually download files at around 800 kB/s (kilobytes per
second).

Of course, people aren't generally as precise as they should be, so even if
you know the various standards out there, you've got to keep the context of
the number in mind to make sure it makes sense. :)

On 12/23/07, Micky Hulse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Latcho wrote:
> > 512 Kbits / 8 bitsperbyte = streaming 64 KBytes per sec = 3840 KBytes
> > per minute = (3840 / 1024)  3.75 MBytes
>
> Wow, thanks for that. ;)
>
> Interesting stuff.
>
> I finally had a chance to compress a vid (using settings I mentioned in
> first post) and the file size was compressed to about 13mb (note to
> self, mb = megabytes) :D
>
> Playing with the numbers now though... the formula above is good to
> know. Thanks Latcho and Marc!
>
> Cheers,
> Micky
>
> --