There are probably a hundred other ways to do this, but an easy one
(off the top of my head) would be to make your holder variable a
custom element that extends sprite, but has it's own variables, like:

class HolderClass extends Sprite
{
      private var _myParam:String
      public function HolderClass()
      {
          super() ;
      }
      public function get myParam():String { return _myParam ; }
      public function set myParam(value:String):void { _myParam = value; }
}

Then the code you list would be.....

var holder:HolderClass = new HolderClass() ;
holder.name = "theName";
holder.myParam= "theParam" ;
holder.addEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_UP, myEvent);

private function myEvent(e:MouseEvent) {
     dispatchEvent(new DropDownEvent (SELECTED, e.target.name,
HolderClass(e.target).myParam));
}

As I said above, there are probably a ton of ways to do this better,
but this might have the least impact on your existing code.

Jer