Thanks for getting back to me.
I'm targeting Flash Player 8.
Essentially, I am creating an HTML form in Flash, but I'm running into trouble because the form refers to database field names with symbols I can't place in a variable name and I need to pass the variable name with the data.

The form in my FLA has input fields for First Name and Email address. Each input field has a Var associated with it.
The First Name field's Var is "f:1700253695"
The Email field's Var is "f:31"

Then in Actionscript I have variables for the "hidden" fields that would be used in an HTML version of the form (not sure if this is necessary) and a submit button function to send the variable names and their values to the sign-up form on the server.
var f#1700253695 = "TEXT:First%20Name";
var f#31 = "TEXT:Email%20Address";

submitBtn.onRelease = function(){
        getURL("http://www.topica.com/f/p.html";, "","GET");
}

The problem I'm having is that the database on the server requires either the colon or the # sign in the field name, but I can't figure out how to publish the SWF with them. If there isn't a way, I think I will use the ExternalInterface API to send my field values to a form in my HTML wrapper and send the data from there. I'm not well versed in Javascript so I'm trying to avoid that if possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.
-Alex