If you are developing for flash player 9 you can do the following:

1. Convert your image to a png or jpg using:
http://weblogs.macromedia.com/cantrell/archives/2006/08/actionscript_pn.cfm
2. Send the image to your server which will write it to a temporary
directory on the server
3. Use fileReference.download to offer the image to the user

Greetz Erik