I don't have a solution, but I have an arguably less ugly workaround
that I've used in similar cases.

public class Superclass {
    public function load():Void {
       __load();
    }

    protected function __load():Void {
        // "Base class" functionality here

public class Subclass extends Superclass {
    public function load():Void {
        Tweener.addTween(this, {onComplete: __load});

Cory Petosky : Lead Developer : PUNY
1618 Central Ave NE Suite 130
Minneapolis, MN 55413
Office: 612.216.3924