Thanks guys, this actually worked for me over the weekend. I created a
stateManager and did all the changing within there. I did use the below
technique. I'm not so familiar with the command patter, although I have
heard of it. I may look into that for future reference. All in all -
everything worked out great. I appreciate the assistance.

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 11:17 AM, Glen Pike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> You can access the thing that sends the event in your listener - the guy
> before did not give you the entire signature for an event listener
> function (you pass the event in the MXML tag and add it as the argument
> to the function - same with any handler, you can specify what goes in
> the function argument, by default the click rollover and other Flex
> events will have an object associated with them that you can pass around):
>
> <mx:Script>
>        <![CDATA[
> public function clickHandler(event:Event):void {
>    trace("clickHandler from: " + event.target + " type " + event.type);
> }
> ]]>
> </mx:Script>
> <mx:Button id="btn" styleName="navButton" click="clickHandler(event)"
> label="myButton"/>
>
> Hey presto, you can wrap this event up and fire it again from this
> component upto the top.  That's the only awkward bit as you have to
> write code for each.  There may be other ways / frameworks like Jason
> said that ensure you don't have to write these bits of code in every
> nested component to pass an event from bottom to top, but I have not
> investigated / learnt about this stuff.
>
> HTH
>
> Glen

Anthony Cintron