Your code does what you're asking but I suspect you're having trouble with
the positioning, or something similar. Since DC has no initial y, all
instances will end up at 30, using the code below.

Here's an adaptation that shows two visual results: position and trace,
using the instance name request you mentioned. Note that, when adding an
instance name programmatically, you can't refer that instance by name the
same way you can when creating the instance name in the IDE. You must use
getChildByName() instead.

var dataLength:int = 5;

for(var i = 0; i<dataLength; i++) {
     var DC:DataCard = new DataCard();
     DC.x = Math.random()*550;
     DC.y = Math.random()*400;
     DC.name = "dataCard" + i;
     addChild(DC);
     trace(getChildByName("dataCard"+i).name);
}

Rich