That's not true. I'd say the majority of Flash coders I've met in real
life are pretty awful at AS3, and they're not worth hiring. Yet, they
get hired, because there's not enough Flash programmers to go around,
and the theory (in marketing agencies, anyway) is that a bad Flash
programmer is better than no Flash programmer at all. Beyond that,
most small marketing agencies can't tell a good Flash programmer from
a bad one anyway.

Knowing multiple languages well is a good indicator that you're a good
Flash programmer. This is not a causation statement, merely a
correlation. There are undoubtedly people who know multiple languages
who suck at Flash programming. Similarly, there are definitely people
who only know AS3 but are great Flash programmers. Nevertheless, in my
experience, the guys who have learned multiple languages (myself
included) understand the strengths and weaknesses of AS3/Flash much
better, on average, than those who have only ever used AS3/Flash.

In the end, though, the advantage to learning multiple languages is
that you'll be better at what you do. No question. It's been common
knowledge among programmers since the 1970s.

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 6:38 PM, Muzak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Not to mention that a programmer who knows AS3, Java, and Lisp is
> > immensely more valuable than one who just knows AS3. It proves you
> > have the capacity to learn, which is a very marketable trait.
> >

>  BS.. Doesn't prove a thing..
>  Someone who *just* knows AS3 may have - scratch that - *has* the capacity
> to learn any other language, but may never have had the need to.
>
>  ----- Original Message ----- From: "Cory Petosky"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Cory Petosky : Lead Developer : PUNY
1618 Central Ave NE Suite 130