I figured out the problem -- the array holding the pointer to the instance if the sound object was getting indexed with an empty string (""), and thus never actually getting added to the array, thus there was no persistent pointer to the instance.....

Andrew Sinning wrote:
I'm using AS2.

In my movie, I have some external mp3 files that will start streaming and then just stop playing. It's as if the streaming suddenly stops, but this happens even if I'm playing the sound back locally. From the documentation, if looks like there are just two ways to stop a sound from playing, by calling sound.stop() on the specific instance of the sounds, and by calling Sound.stop() without reference to a specific sound to stop all sounds. As far as I can tell, there's no place in my code where I am making either type of call.

Does the variable pointing to the sound being played need to persist in memory for the sound to continue playing? I'm nearly positive that the variable is persistent, but I'm shooting in the dark here.

The sound is loaded using

   sound.loadSound(url, true);

and it starts playing nearly right away. After a while it stops. Sometimes it plays longer than others. These sounds are about 25KB/sec. and are 10 and 20 seconds long.

Even if the data-stream is interrupted, the sound should start playing again once the buffer gets loaded up again, right?

I know there's something in my movie that is causing this, because if I make a test movie where I just play the sound it works just fine. The problem is I can't figure out where else to look for the cause of the problem.....

Thanks!