try doing this, it should work:

import flash.text.TextField;
var _pValue:TextField;

function createNavigatorButton( txt:String ) {
        _pValue = new TextField();
        _pValue.text = txt;
        _pValue.backgroundColor = 0x000000;
        _pValue.x = 60;
        _pValue.y = 400;
        addChild( _pValue );
}

function removeNavigatorButton( txt:String ) {
        //_pValue = "_"+pValue;
        _pValue.name = txt;
        var targetToRemove:DisplayObject = this.getChildByName(_pValue.name);

        trace(getChildIndex( targetToRemove ) )
        removeChildAt(getChildIndex( targetToRemove ));

}

createNavigatorButton( "Flash" );
removeNavigatorButton( "Flash" );