It's not really important to understand the "why" behind extending Event in AS3. The reasons become self-evident over time as you use it. There's no reason not to, so best to just do so.

The only reason you wouldn't is if you spent considerable time to deeply understand the event system in AS3 (reading posts is only part of it - you would need to spend time running tests, poking around in the code, doing R&D, basically) and somehow determined that extending Event was detrimental to a specific edge case that you were working on. I'd be hard pressed to figure out what that edge case would be, and I could come up with several arguments against the decision to not extend Event in that case.

In other words, if you have to ask why you should use it, you should use it. ;)