Hi,

Well I have had a look using LiveHTTPHeaders and it looks like it is using a content delivery network to stream video.

There is also a "/low/" path in my requests, so I am guessing the system may be using content depending on the bandwidth. It looks like some content is preloaded and some is only downloaded when you select it.

I guess this is a pretty good strategy for loading - only preload it if you are going to use it. In the past, I have had a simple sequence of animations. I made this a preloaded sequence to put the first animation straight into the "player" and all subsequent clips were loaded in the background. Because the first clip was about 45 seconds long, the rest were loaded by the time they were needed, bingo.

I broke this down a bit for a subsequent project, but I am still trying to balance out the preloading - I even tried preloading PDF's into the browser cache, which works, but Flash does not get the progress updates. I had to abandon the preloading during animations though, because it really slowed down the vector heavy animation - my code is AS2 and could probably do with some optimising, but this is something you have to watch out for with background loading - if the player needs CPU resources, loading lots of small clips in a queue could impact this. The workaround here was to wait until someone launched a PDF, set a one-off timer then start the preloading queue - hopefully everything would load whilst the visitor is reading the PDF, but if they come back and click a resume button, the loader is paused. It's nearly there, but like I said, some optimisation is required.

As another example, I would say have a look at the BBC's CDX game done by Preloaded http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/interactive/ although there was restrictions on non-UK residents, I think this has been lifted. This is a very resource heavy game and does a lot of preloading without intro's etc, but there do seem to be some issues with the video buffering going pear shaped. I like the game, but would say it took a long time to load each time and could do with some "intelligent" preloading.

I guess it's a per-project balance, but there are a lot of preloading tools out there which deal with queue's etc. There is also the Gaia framework, which looks like it has a sensible approach to preloading and I think it also provides some options to override some of this loading of assets in the sitemap too - hopefully Mr Gaia can tell us more.

   HTH, now who's next.

   Glen
   Glen
Dwayne Neckles wrote:
What do you think?

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 5:59 PM, Dwayne Neckles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>