Hello List,

Not only can I not work out how to fix this problem, but I'm also having
problems describing it pithily. Please bear with me and I hope someone has
pointers, even if just to say "Nup, can't be done".

With input textfields in a browser (that is, the ones I've checked, FF2 and
IE7), when you type enough to "fill up" the textfield, the cursor stays at
the very right of the textfield, and the overflow text (the text you are
still typing) comes up character by character, each character shifting the
existing text to the left by one character-width.

With input textfields in Flash (MX2004 and 8), when you type enough to "fill
up" the textfield - or rather, when you get within about 5px of the right
side of the textfield - the existing text jumps a good distance (about 20px)
to the left, thus opening up more space for you to type into.

1) I need the input textfields in Flash to behave like the browser input
textfield behaviour described - essentially, I need to prevent the "text
jump left" behaviour. Is it possible, and if not, how can it be faked?

2) Leading on from "how can it be faked", what is the actual condition
required to cause the "text jumps to the left" behaviour in Flash? I've been
trying to get around it by making the textfield 1 space wider than its
contents, but the number of spaces required seems to vary with the font size
- smaller font size seems to require more extra spaces to prevent text jump
- so I'm guessing it's something else.

Any suggestions and pointers very much appreciated. Even an iota of clue >
clueless, which is my current situation.