Matt Hawley wrote:

> Is there any way to embed non-latin character sets, such as cyrillic and
> hebrew, in library fonts as you can with a dynamic textfield on the stage?
> I have searched all day and can't find anything about it.

Hmmm... it seems like I answered an almost identical question yesterday ^_^

Yes. And no.

When you embed a font in the library, I believe it embeds all the available
glyphs. When you embed that library font in a text field is when you get to
choose the glyph sets. To see if it has the glyphs you want, a simple test
will suffice--create a dynamic text field on-stage, embed the library font,
and see what glyphs are available. You can easily delete the text field once
you've found your font.

Note that many fonts, even Unicode fonts, will not have Cyrillic, Hebrew,
Greek, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, and other glyphs. The one I have found to
be most complete is Arial Unicode (NOT Arial). But, just being
Unicode-compliant doesn't mean it has any particular set of glyphs. It just
means that the glyphs it has are at the right code point. So you could have
a Unicode font that is just English, or just Japanese, or just Greek, or any
combination of Unicode-defined languages.

When you think about it, it makes sense. Unicode defines a heck of a lot of
languages, but, practically speaking, there is little commercial market for
Khmer, Burmese, Tibetan, or Inuit. Even if it defines glyphs for a language,
it may not have a complete set. For example, Chinese--nobody really knows
how many Chinese characters there are. I've heard estimates of up to 80,000,
perhaps more. In real life, you need to know about 2,500 to read a
newspaper, and a Chinese-language scholar may know 8,000 or so. I think the
average for an educated Chinese speaker is about 4,000. So how many do you
include in your font? Do you really need the 15th-century character for
county magistrate in Hunan province?

I'm not being facetious. These are realities that font makers face.

Cordially,

Kerry Thompson