Well for a start, you're going to be creating loads of geometry. Are
you rendering your drawings to bitmaps at all? Sounds like a
performance issue to me. Drawing vector lines takes CPU - this is just
a fact of life.

What I'd recommend is something along these lines:

User presses mouse
User draws with pen tool
User releases mouse
The line drawn is drawn to a bitmap

Repeat.

Does this make sense?

It may not solve your immediate issue with the webcam, but you will
definitely run into it sooner or later.

Hope this helps,
Alias