Heard good things about Rich Shupe too  - he's an active participant on
our Flash_Tiger list (maybe here too, can't remember).  Beside the
books, he has a site for learning AS3:
http://www.learningactionscript3.com/

Was going to recommend Moock as well, but I'm kinda still angered by his
article right now... :)

The BEST place though, in my opinion, and in my personal experience, are
these lists.  You can ask any question and we'll help you learn AS3 -
that way, we all benefit.  Just start with one question at a time, like
how do I add something to the stage with code, or assign click events to
buttons...

Jason Merrill
Bank of America
Enterprise Technology & Global Risk L&LD
Instructional Technology & Media

Join the Bank of America Flash Platform Developer Community

Are you a Bank of America associate interested in innovative learning
ideas and technologies?
Check out our internal  GT&O Innovative Learning Blog & subscribe.