You should be able to copyChannel the BitmapDataChannel.ALPHA from the image
you loaded onto the bitmap you use for the gleam. However animating this
then means moving only a single channel. Which may or may not be possible
without reprocessing the bitmapData.
It's only a rough idea, but take a look...
You could also copy the alpha channel onto all the other channels of a new
bitmapData which will give you a black silhouette which you could use as a
mask.

2008/8/14 jonathan howe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Hallo,
>
> I'm loading transparent pngs in as Bitmaps and placing them within a
> display
> object. I'd like to create a mask that is the same shape as the
> non-transparent pixels, (so that I can overlay a gleam animation).  Is
> there
> an easy way to use a Bitmap or BitmapData as a mask that respects the shape
> of the bitmap?
>
> Please lend me your awesomeness for a moment,
> -jonathan
>

> --
> -jonathan howe :: 404.434.2321 :: 180 High St Apt 26 Portland, ME 04101

The Random Lines
My online portfolio
www.therandomlines.com