Like Kerry, I come from the world of Director (Adobe/Macromedia Director), with 15+ year's experience there. I have a degree in English but never had a problem landing a job, probably because back in the early days of the 90's, good help was hard to find, and then as I gained experience in Director, that made it easier.

Recently I've been learning AS3 and trying to get Flash gigs, and I've had a few job interviews which have been illuminating. I don't know if this is typical, but in both interviews there were some tests I had to do. On one interview it was more casual, just a series of OOP design questions on a whiteboard. The other interview however they stuck me in a little room and gave me a few hours to program Conway's Game of Life. This was a surprise (!) to me which I was not prepared for. I was able to get it working, however my solution was not optimal. I read about it later (Wikipedia has an entry on it) and apparently I took the basic route of just using a multidimensional array, which is not very scaleable. I heard later from someone else that the Game of Life is often used in Comp Sci studies as an example problem.

My point is that many years later now, in middle age, I am feeling the effects of not having a degree in Comp Sci. Don't know if this is a permanent drawback or just temporary while I try to reinvent myself as an AS3 coder. I know I have a good programmer mindset, I've been told I have good OOP design skills, and I've always been interested in design patterns. However anything beyond basic math is a weak point for me. I have a feeling I would have done better in both interviews if I had more of a traditional Comp Sci background.

FWIW,
KMc

p.s. if anyone has any San Francisco/bay area gigs, I'm interested ;) esp salaried