I have a large scale project I am working on that needs to be loaded and
unload so of course I am running into the dreaded AS3 garbage collection
mess.

I've tracked down the problem to a local SharedObject of a particular
class. The destructor of said class closes the SharedObject (even though
that shouldn't be necessary since it is local) and nulls the variable but
it seems this is not enough for the garbage collector. The memory is not
released. However, if I never create the SharedObject in the first place
and go through the same destruction procedure memory is released!

Help!