ok well I haven't found any solutions for writing XML files to disk... how weird is that???

I've decided to go ahead and reprogram the whole XML reader so that it reads in SharedObjects instead... as I need to finish this project by Friday.

It took a little while to figure out I had to use localPath to share between SWFs and AMF0 encoding to share between AS3 and AS2, but I am on my way to success... quite the hassle, lost hours, but I think this is the only way?

Thanks,

Sebastian.

sebastian wrote:
Hello,

Been searching for answers and I was wondering what options there was for saving local XML files; as this seems to be a stickler... (?)

I have two flash files; the two flash applications will run on different screens connected to the same computer.

One of them is an already built application that I don't want to edit very much, cause it's an ugly monster. Previously it loaded XML files from a web-server [which collected SMS/text entries from users], but now it needs to read the XML file from the local disk where it is running and there is NO internet access anymore. As it reads items from the XML it needs to delete the entries. It's display is actually a very large projector/LCD mounted on a wall for everyone to see.

The other application, which is connected to a touchscreen interface [replacing the need for a user's mobile/cell phone], needs to generate lines that feed into the same XML file the beast is reading, so that it can generate a sort of queue for it to run through.

The original beast is in AS2 and messy [read: painful to edit any code], the new touch screen is clean and in AS3. It's running on all on local Window computers as a pair of dual full-screen projectors [.exe files], no PHP facilities or local DB I'm afraid.

My question is:

* is there anyway at all to have these two applications read and write/delete entries from the XML files?

* If not, what workarounds do I have at my disposal? Can I read/write to a text file (*.txt) instead?

* I know "shared objects" exist, am I forced to use this in this situation?

* finally, is there any 'smart' way to "lock" a file or have one of the flash files prevent the other from writing/reading to the same file at the same time? I don't know if this is an issue, but I could foresee file corruption if both flash files try and write to a file at the same instant.

Thanks for your insight!!

With kind,

Sebastian.