>From a performance perspective, using fewer listeners in favor of
instance references will always be a performance gain since listeners
take up way more system resources than object references do.  From an
architecture/design pattern perspective though, I can't say whether it's
better or not, it depends more on the type of app you are building and
the type of architecture you put in place to support it.  Not having as
many events (either bubbling or non-bubbling) in favor of instances
(i.e. SingletonClass.getInstance()) can get very messy and buggy if you
don't do it right.  I've found using a mix of both in the right places
to be the best methodology in terms of overall design.

Jason Merrill
Bank of America
Enterprise Technology & Global Risk L&LD
Instructional Technology & Media

Join the Bank of America Flash Platform Developer Community

Are you a Bank of America associate interested in innovative learning
ideas and technologies?
Check out our internal  Innovative Learning Blog & subscribe.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of S0 F1
Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2008 9:17 AM
To: flashcoders@chattyfig.figleaf.com
Subject: [Flashcoders] Singleton lookups vs Events ...

Any thoughts on whether it's more efficient (in terms of development and
player performance) to use Singleton's (with static public 'getInstance'
or
such) instead of Event's when developing mid-sized applications? (for
classes that *are* Singleton's of course). Asking this in regards to
when
you know no other class needs notification.

It seems a lot cleaner in terms of code (not having to create and listen
for
events). Just a direct call - but what about performance speed, etc.

Is this good practice.

Cheers.