HI Michael,

A quick check of the class in the help file:

TextField Class

Shows me that no such method or property exists, even though I suppose it might be a useful one - however in all my years of using flash I've never found this to be an obstacle you can't circumvent.

The way I would go about this, is to do the truncation based on the length you *know* it can display, instead of letting the GUI handle that logic for you.

Please note you have full control over the width and height of a text field via the code, and you can split the text easily if its over a certain length and assign it to any other text field you wish dynamically.

textField.width = someNumber;
trextField.height = someOtherNumber;

if (textField.length > someCutOffPoint)
{
//do something different cause its too long
}

are your friends.

:)

Seb.

Mendelsohn, Michael wrote:
Hi list...

Is it possible somehow to get a substring of all the visible text in a
textArea?

If I know there are 35 lines in the TextArea, and it's only 30 lines
tall, how can I have lines 31-35 show up at the very top?

(AS2)

Thanks!
- MM