John on Flash_Tiger pointed me in the right direction.

Basically to fix my issue I had to set both class files to be public
(dynamic was not required).

i.e.  public class ColorTest extends MovieClip

In addition though, I had to make the variables that are the instance names
(myBlock and myTextField which is already on stage) public and not private.
This seems a bit odd to me, but it might be a requirement for document
classes? I will dig further into this one. But for now, this corrects my
issue. It compiles and runs as expected now.

Charles P.