Turns out it was a layering issue with my movie clips.  Also, of course,
add the listener to the stage instead of to the button.  It works great!
:)

Thanks so much for all your feedback.  You all really helped me think of
new places to troubleshoot.  :)

I just had to post my final coding, because for me, the newbie coder, I
am excited I finally got it working!  LOL!  :D

for (i= 0; i < count; i++) {
        aButtons[i].addEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_DOWN,
startDragging);
        aButtons[i].mouseChildren = false;
}

function startDragging(event:MouseEvent):void {

        for (i= 0; i < count; i++) {
                if (event.target == aButtons[i] ) {
                        trace("start dragging");
                        event.target.startDrag();
                }
                stage.addEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_UP,
stopDragging);

function stopDragging(event:MouseEvent):void {

        for (i= 0; i < count; i++) {

                if (event.target == aButtons[i]  ) {
                        trace("stop dragging");
                        aButtons[i].stopDrag();
                        //now figure out whether the drag is over a hit
spot or not

                        var hitSpot:Boolean;
                        var index:Number;
                        var snapPosition:Number;
                        var snapInPlace:Boolean;
                        for (index= 0; index < count; index++) {
                                hitSpot =
event.target.hitTestObject(dropSpots[index]);
                                if (hitSpot == true) {
                                        snapInPlace=hitSpot;
                                        snapPosition = index;
                                }//end if
                                trace("snap to "+snapPosition + "hitspot
= "+ hitSpot);
                        }//end for

                        if (snapInPlace) {
                                var snapX:Tween = new Tween(aButtons[i],
"x", Strong.easeOut, aButtons[i].x, dropSpots[snapPosition].x, .2,
true);
                                var snapy:Tween = new Tween(aButtons[i],
"y", Strong.easeOut, aButtons[i].y, dropSpots[snapPosition].y, .2,
true);
                        } else {
                                var returnX:Tween = new
Tween(aButtons[i], "x", Strong.easeOut, aButtons[i].x,
originalPositions[i].x, 1, true);
                                var returnY:Tween = new
Tween(aButtons[i], "y", Strong.easeOut, aButtons[i].y,
originalPositions[i].y, 1, true);
                        }//end if
                        hitSpot = false ;
                }//end for loop "index"

        }//end for "i"

        stage.removeEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_UP, stopDragging);
}//end stop dragfunction