I started working on something similar, and converted some AS2 Code I found
to AS3.

It's not finished, or well commented - but should give you a good starting
point: http://kurst.co.uk/transfer/GGear.rar . I was thinking of making this
open source once I got further down the road, but want to contact the
original AS2 authors.

If you could send me source of any improvements you make it would be great.

- karim

Credits:

/*
 * Flash Graph Visualization Toolkit
 * Goal: To provide a simple interactive toolkit for visualizing graph
structure and end countless
 * fruitless goolge:"actionscript graph -chart" queries.
 *
 * Acknowledgements:
 * This toolkit owes a debt of gratitude to many people. Mostly the early
paper on this topic:
 * "Graph Drawing by Force-directed Placement" by Fruchterman & Reingold
 *
[http://www.cs.ubc.ca/rr/proceedings/spe91-95/spe/vol21/issue11/spe060tf.pdf
]
 *
 * And also to Marcos Weskamp's beautiful FlickrGraph, which we've spent
countless hour playing
 * with; he just got it -right-. This is pretty close, but not quite.
 * [http://www.marumushi.com/apps/flickrgraph/]
 *
 * And of course to the Macromedia/Adobe team that brings us flash. Rot in
hell Ajax.
 *
 * Final Note: Don't like this? Rip out the render, attractForce, repelForce
and do your own thing.
 */