When using Buddy to launch external files, I've always used a 3 step
approach.

First, find the user's doc viewer with:

App = baFindApp("doc")

Then, string the app path and the doc path together, converting the paths to
short file names:

myFile = the moviePath & "myworddocument.doc"
appFile = baShortFileName(App) && baShortFileName(myFile)

Then, open the file in the correct app:

baRunProgram(appFile, "normal", false)

Error checking at each step, of course. I've used this method with pdf, xls,
wmv, doc, and ppt successfully. Should work with any windows file type.

Bob