If you don't do addChild() it won't actually be on the stage - even if you add it to an array or a variable inside of the clip.

Consider:

public class Tree blabla ()
{
private var apple:Apple;//where 'Apple' is some item you want to attach
 to this class

 public function Tree ()
 {
  apple = new Apple();
  addChild(apple);

If I don't do an 'addChild' the Apple class will simply be assigned to the variable apple but it will NOT be opn the stage until I add it via addChild();

Make sense?

Google it otherwise, it's a basic AS3 concept that differs from AS2.

:)

Seb.

Glen Pike wrote:
Hi,

If I create my AppScreens dynamically and add them - the added to stage event handler for the AppScreen sub-class is called.

I am not calling addChild() for the components in the AppScreen sub-class because they are placed at authortime inside the clip - I should not have to call addChild for these surely?
     Glen

sebastian wrote:
forget to addChild()?

The problem I have run into is that when I instanciate an AppScreen symbol from my library - it's not on stage - and add it to the stage I handle the ADDED_TO_STAGE event for wiring the components up.