Thanks for the responses everyone.

Steven, I could use some constructive feedback:

Usually what I do is have a singleton instanced when the swf is
initialized, and using composition, other classes are instanced within
the singleton.  So the singleton becomes a sort of tree trunk with
everything branching off of it.  How would you say that this is a bad
idea?  It's worked well for me.  What would be a more effective
alternative to structuring my swfs?

- MM

Singletons are overused and, except in rare instances, are a bad idea.

Singletons are acceptable if you're writing throwaway code, like agency
stuff
where getting it done under tight deadlines is more important than
getting it
done in the most scalable and flexible way.

A Singleton is just a global.  IMO, globals are helpful when hacking,
but
generally bad practice. If it was called Globalton, people wouldn't
think so
highly of it just because it's a "Design Pattern".  Most people misuse
Singleton, anyway.

http://misko.hevery.com/2008/08/17/singletons-are-pathological-liars/

http://googletesting.blogspot.com/2008/05/tott-using-dependancy-injectio
n-to.html

http://googletesting.blogspot.com/2008/08/where-have-all-singletons-gone
.html

Google even has a tool that detects Singletons in Java so you can
refactor them out.

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Programming/Quality-Assurance-and-Testing
/Google-Singleton-Detector-29295.shtml