I would just set default values like the colour red in the constructor of the component and then just the normal invalidate()-fun for the designer view. Now I haven't experience with making components which work during design time for Flash/Flex, though. Only .NET and Delphi in that regard. But that's how I did it back then.

constructor TDxColorComboBox.Create(AOwner: TComponent);
begin
 inherited;
 Style := csOwnerDrawFixed;
 Width := 40;
  FSelectedColor := clRed;
end;

Apparently you can use UIComponentGlobals.designMode (boolean) in Flex for design time things. Similar to csDesigning in ComponentState in the VCL.

Yours,