Hi,

yes it is destructive, but as you can read here:
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/articles/image_api_05.html
you can find out the size of the bitmap after filtering (imagine a big
blur), create a new bitmap and specify a source bitmap to the applyfilter
call.
If you don't want it to be destructive, attach the bitmap to a movieclip
first, and set the filters on that.

HTH
JC