I built a flash chat room client (using the Flash IDE) about 3 months
ago using Jabber (OpenFire) as the chat server and the XIFF API

http://www.igniterealtime.org/projects/xiff/

The only real issue I ran into was that the XIFF API uses native Flex
classes, so I had to figure out how to get those into a format I could
use in Flash.

In the end, I found a solution that enabled me to compile all of the
neccessary Flex classes in to an swc and use them as an RSL, worked
like a charm. I didn't have to modify any of the API source code, or
the code on the Flex classes either.

The XIFF API makes it easy, all in all I got it done in about 3 days.
Granted, it's not the most feature rich chat client, but basic
functionality is there.

http://gigafied.blogspot.com/2008/12/using-flex-classes-in-flash-cs3.html
(here's my post on getting Flex classes into the Flash IDE).

- Taka