Hey Tim,

I have run into this before as well, with both ActionScript and using
alert() in JavaScript.

What I concluded was that the trace/alert basically adds a small pause
or causes something to happen (i.e. skip a frame or something of the
sort) so that the code below it works.

I may be totally wrong and this may sound crazy and stupid, but
whenever I did something like take the trace out and put the rest of
the code into a COMPLETE event for a timer, or had the code run on the
next frame with an onEnterFrame, it started working.

I know you say you don't think its a timing issue, but instead of the
loop try doing a Timer and see if that solves it.