I tried the tabChildren code and still the buttons do not highlight when the
tab key is pressed. Any other ideas why these buttons are not being
highlighted?

The panel that is displayed has various keyframes, each with different panel
variations on. Each of these panels has a text entry field to allow the user
to enter their nickname.

I have used the following code to focus the text entry field. Perhaps this
is causing problems?

Selection.setFocus(objGame.popupPanelObject.nicknameTxt);

My buttons are the following paths:

popupPanels.submitBtn
popupPanels.playAgainBtn

I have just tried adding the following code in a function that is called
when the panel keyframe displays but still no joy:(

popupPanels.submitBtn.tabEnabled = true;
popupPanels.playAgainBtn.tabEnabled = true;

Btw here is my code to display the pop up panel, just in case there is
anything here that would affect it.

function createPopupPanel() {

        var strInstanceName = "popupPanels";
        var strLinkageName = "popup-instructions";
        var numDepth = 10010;

        objGame.popupPanelObject =
objGame.thePath.attachMovie(strLinkageName, strInstanceName, numDepth);

        objGame.popupPanelObject.tabChildren = true;

        objGame.popupPanelObject._x = -30;
        objGame.popupPanelObject._y = -30;

}

Any ideas anyone?