Hi,
yup

either
public function myBall( value:int ):Ball
       {
           var ball:Ball

           try{

                  //my code goes here.....
                  return ball;
              } catch (e:TypeError ){
                  trace("Whoops");
           }
           return null;
       }

or

public function myBall( value:int ):Ball
       {
           var ball:Ball = null;

           try{

                  //my code goes here.....
              } catch (e:TypeError ){

           }
       return ball;
 }
There are more possibilities, some of which are better practice than others,
but in such a small method, I wouldn't make to much of a fuss about it.

regards,
JC