In fact, I think it should be intanciated as Bitmap or BitmapData since they're images.
But you can also try:

var img1:* = new newImage();
addChild(img1);

Glen Pike wrote:
Hi,

   I think you have to instanciate them as Sprite or MovieClip?

   Glen

ACE Flash wrote:
hi there, I'd like to use pure actionscript 3 to embed my assets in flash.
and use addChild() to add them on the stage.

The code seem doesn't work for me, any suggestions?

thanks

        [Embed(source="/assets/img1.gif" , mimeType="image/gif")]
        public var newImage:Class;

        [Embed(source="/assets/img2.gif" , mimeType="image/gif")]
        public var oldImage:Class;

            var img1:Shape= new newImage() as Shape;;
            addChild( img1 );